The Benefits of Kindermusik for a Child with Special Needs
- Small group classes, therefore lots of individual attention
- Child experiences the beauty and joy of music making with his/her peers
- Aids physical development through a systematic, step-by-step, balanced blend of movement activities for refining fine and gross motor skills
- Aids sensory development and perception by stimulating multiple senses (listening, seeing, touching)
- Aids emotional development by learning to express and convey feelings using parts of the body or the whole body
- Aids social development by fostering confidence and self-assurance in small groups
- Develops and provides an outlet for imagination and creativity
- Participation is at a pace that is appropriate for each child—in his or her own way and own time
- Family participation in class and at home allows the family to grow musically together
- Kindermusik CDs and Home Activities supplement speech or occupational therapy services
- It’s fun! – time away from stressful treatments and therapy.
I have had many OT clients who weren’t learning to talk with just speech therapy or developmental services, but did learn to speak after attending Kindermusik classes.” http://ot4specialtots.blogspot.com/
Music therapy is facilitated at Kindermusik Cambridge by accredited music therapist Daniel Allen (MTA MT-BC). Daniel follows a developmental music therapy model in which music based activities are used in order to increase functioning in essential areas of development. These areas include movement, speech, cognition, social functions, and behaviour management. Through structured musical activities, Daniel uses his training and the power of music to help his clients “develop abilities through music”.
Daniel is also an experienced instructor of adapted music lessons. These lessons are modified in order to provide students with special needs the opportunity to learn musical and instrumental skills using a learning style that best suits their needs. Lesson adaptations include modified learning pace, colour coded notes, visual learning aids, and classroom modifications. Through assessment of ability, needs, and musical preferences, Daniel is able to create lesson plans that are unique to the individual needs of each student.
Many different instruments are available to be used at Kindermusik Cambridge. This includes percussion, piano, guitar, and wind/brass instruments, as well as everything in between. Through proper assessment, Daniel determines the appropriate instruments for each client and uses them to provide effective music therapy.
The many rooms available at Kindermusik Cambridge provide plenty of space for all kinds of therapeutic activities. Each room is well lit and acoustically developed to reduce overstimulation. These factors combined with the number of available instruments make Kindermusik Cambridge the perfect location for effective music therapy sessions.
For more information or to book a session/lesson, contact Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect through Kindermusik Cambridge by calling 519-249-1446 or emailing email@example.com